The name is a holdover from the days of the Dutch East India Company, which colonized the Cape as a private enterprise and started The Company’s Garden in 1652 to grow food to supply its ships sailing between Europe and Asia. One of the original pear trees still grows in what is now a public park that links some of the city’s most important landmarks.
At the bottom end, Queen Victoria Street begins between St. George’s Cathedral (where Desmond Tutu once held the pulpit) and the Slave Lodge museum, which once housed the slaves who built much of the old city. The pedestrian street runs up past botanical gardens, the Parliament, the National Library and a raft of other landmarks until ending across the street from the entrance of the Mount Nelson Hotel.
Open daily, 7am – 6pm
If it’s a lovely day, the Gardens are also simply a beautiful walk through the heart of the old city.
Getting to The Company’s Garden
Queen Victoria Street, running from St. George’s Cathedral to The Mount Nelson Hotel